Remember that Chessie SD40-2 I was restoring back to health a few months ago? Here’s the latest on that project.

After my last restoration post I had got some standard Kadee #5 couplers into the Athearn coupler box but I didn’t like that the metal centering plate stuck out a bit. I also tried putting a Kadee coupler box on instead but it sat too low to be useful on this old Blue box chassis. Eventually I picked up some Kadee #148 whisker variety couplers and used the existing Athearn coupler box to fit them onto the engine.

This appeared to work at first.

After checking with a coupler gauge it was clear however that the couplers sagged down and were not reliable. They weren’t catching on turnouts or anything but on a grade they would let go of their cars.

Finally I picked up a bag of Kadee #209 washers and placed one within each coupler box and the issue was solved! Now this proud old cat is back on the line where it belongs! Thanks Kadee!

Facebook Comments

No Comment.

Add Your Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.